Timken in India
Timken India Limited, a subsidiary of The Timken Company, started operations in India in 1989.
In keeping with global standards, the manufacturing facility was set up in Jamshedpur in 1992. To cater to the growing market, Timken built a manufacturing facility in Chennai in 2008.
The Timken Technology Centre in Bangalore is one of four Timken innovation and development centres around the world. This provides our customers a unique opportunity to access a global pool of engineering expertise and the latest technological advancements.
Now, with the acquisition of Philadelphia Gear® and its other proprietary brands: Western Gear®, WesTech®, and DeLaval® Steam Turbine, and the building of a brand new 33,000 square foot facility in Raipur, Timken is uniquely positioned in India to provide a comprehensive suite of gearbox and bearing aftermarket solutions.
Inspection and Repair Services
Expertise in the Service Centre Means Worry Free Operation in the Field
In an increasingly competitive world, Timken provides solutions that help customers reach their full potential. Our customers rely on us to reduce operating costs and provide technical expertise that contributes directly to the bottom line.
With more than 100 years of technological and industrial experience, and three million technical documents in our database, Timken Gears & Services is continuously expanding its capabilities in engineering, metallurgy and precision manufacturing to meet those needs. Our Service Centre in Raipur uses state-of-the-art inspection and measurement techniques to fully diagnose gearbox issues and answer critical operational questions from our customers. Our goal is to provide rotating equipment decision makers with the key technical data they need to make informed decisions.
In addition to offering customers quick and responsive turnaround times for the inspection and overhaul of their units – by performing a detailed design review of both the gearbox and its application – the service centre can determine the uprate potential of the unit as well. In many cases this can be done without modification to the footprint and shaft interfaces of the existing gearbox.
After initial inspection, a detailed report, including digital photography, is forwarded to our customers for evaluation. Once the decision to overhaul the gearbox is made, we fully disassemble, clean and perform non-destructive testing on any components intended for re-use, as well as schedule the manufacture of replacement parts. In cases where an upgrade is desirable, our engineering team makes the necessary changes and, with customer approval, incorporates them into the manufacturing process.
Once all of the new and reworked components are complete – sometimes even including rework of the original housing – the gearbox is reassembled and spin tested at full speed. The testing is rigorous and measures bearing endplay, tooth contact, backlash, temperature, and sound and vibration levels. The unit is then epoxy painted, preserved for short-term storage, and documentation is sent back to the customer with the unit.
Finally, we top that by offering a 3-year warranty on all workmanship and material that we supply as part of a standard overhaul.
Scope of Work
Rotating Equipment Experience
- Bevel Gears
- Epicyclic Gears
- Herringbone Gears
- Open Gearing
- Parallel Shaft Gears
- Planetary Gears
- Worm Gears
Customized Technical Services
- Condition Monitoring
- Drive Exchange Program
- Engineered Upgrades
- Gear 101 Training
- GearLogic℠ Preservation System
- On-site Inspection
- Predictive Maintenance
- Renewal Part Specification
- Chemical Processing
- Food Processing
- Hydrocarbon Processng
- Material Handling
- Metals Processing
- Oil and Gas Refining
- Power Generation
- Pulp & Paper
- Steel Manufacture
- Water Management
Timken is the One-Stop Solution
for all Gear Drive Needs
With over 100 years of power transmission experience among our proprietary brands – Philadelphia Gear, Western Gear, WesTech, and DeLaval Steam Turbine – Timken Industrial Services India now has an unparalleled base of knowledge in the design, manufacture and servicing of mission critical industrial gear drives. And with the expansion of our international network of Regional Service Centres to Raipur, we are proud to offer the Indian market a comprehensive “one-stop-shop” solution to gearing related problems.
Inspect, Repair and Upgrade
Each one of our service centres is equipped with the latest machinery to provide full inspection, repair and upgrade services. We can reverse engineer any gear drive or component to exact OEM specifications and are staffed with engineers and shop personnel who are gear experts thoroughly skilled in performing gearbox failure root cause analysis. For repairs, we provide full disassembly and cleaning, inspection and measurement, engineering evaluation and recommendations, performance of repairs, and full-speed spin test. All work done in our Service Centre is backed by a 3-year warranty.
Renewal Parts and Proprietary Services
As the owner of the intellectual property rights to manufacture OEM parts for Philadelphia Gear, WesTech, Western Gear and DeLaval Steam Turbine products, we offer our customers a replacement parts program that is fully backed by a 3-year warranty. In addition, as a gearbox OEM with reverse engineering capabilities, and a reputation for quality and reliability, our service centres can provide high quality replacements for any brand, in any application.
Onsite Technical Services
Because Timken understands your critical gearbox application better than anyone, we realize that it is not always feasible to remove a gearbox and send it to one of our Service Centres. Our newest aftermarket service, Onsite Technical Services (OTS), is designed to help customers resolve their gearbox related issues in the field. From inspections and diagnostic assessments to providing technical support for on-site overhauls, our service technicians have the experience and know-how to get you up and running as quickly as possible.
New Enclosed Drives
Timken’s proprietary gearbox brands are installed in a wide variety of applications, from precision high-speed turbomachinery gearing, to rugged, heavy duty industrial gear products. The result of over 100 years of innovative design engineering and manufacturing, our enclosed drives have set the standard for quality, reliability, endurance and customer satisfaction in virtually every type of gearbox application in the world.
Get More Out of Your Equipment With Engineered Upgrades
Things change over time. Yesterday’s state-of-the-art equipment is today’s problem child. How many changes to your processes and outputs have occurred since your critical equipment was installed 10, 20, 30 or more years ago? Chances are, plenty. In that same timespan, capital funds for equipment replacement have been increasingly hard to come by. With over a century of gear and enclosed drive design and manufacturing experience, we understand the pressure you’re under to keep things running at peak efficiency. After all, our goal is the same as yours: reduce unplanned downtime.
There are five major categories of upgrades that are designed to extend the life of your gearbox:
- Gearing – Using ground gears in place of hobbed gears improves tooth geometry and load carrying capacity.
- Bearings – Analysis of current speed and load conditions by the global leader in rolling element bearings ensures proper bearing selection and can increase bearing B-10 life.
- Heat Treating – Case hardening techniques such as carburizing and nitriding strengthen gears and bearings, dramatically affecting the equipment’s lifecycle.
- Lubrication – The addition of oil coolers, force fed instead of splash lube systems, and duplex or ferrous metal filtration systems, extend the lives of both the lubricant and the rotating components.
- Instrumentation – Adding diagnostic instrumentation such as temperature or vibration probes can warn against impending failures.
Expert Bearing Repair
from the Bearing Experts
Timken has designed and manufactured bearings for more than a century, and is proud to offer that unsurpassed experience and reputation for quality to the bearing aftermarket. Our highly trained and professional staff of field service engineers will help you identify bearing failure modes, conduct root cause analysis and determine the correct repair solution for your application.
Repair solutions include the following processes:
- Recertification – Bearing assemblies are cleaned and visually inspected; measured to verify internal clearances; then preserved and packaged for return shipment.
- Reclamation – Bearing components are polished using Timken’s proprietary vibratory process; bearings are then preserved and packaged for return shipment.
- Reconditioning – Bearings are cleaned and visually inspected; components are polished and measured to verify internal clearances; bearings are then preserved and packaged for return shipment.
- Remanufacture – Bearing components are cleaned and visually inspected; raceways are re-ground; new roller sets are manufactured; internal clearances are re-set; bearings are then preserved and packaged for return shipment.
- Modification – Special features are added to existing bearing assemblies to enhance performance, retrofit to special applications, or upgrade to meet current Timken design standards.
Integrated Maintenance Solutions
Routine visual inspections of bearings do not always provide enough data to determine if and when a bearing needs to be serviced. There are many precursors to bearing failure modes, but the four most prevalent are:
- The bearing is nearing the end of its design life;
- it exceeds an operating temperature of 93°C (200°F);
- it has been exposed to high vibration levels; and
- it has experienced a sudden drop or gain in lubrication levels.
Regardless of the failure mode, Timken Integrated Maintenance Solutions deliver proven performance that minimizes unplanned downtime. These include:
- Complete Bearing Refurbishment
- Chock/Bearing Housing Rebuilds
- Universal Joint Repairs
- Rail Bearing Services
- Matched Bearing Assembly Services
- Pulverizer Shaft Journal & Housing Rebuilds
- Diagnostic Products
- Technical Training
- MILLTEC® Bearing & Roll Shop Management Services